Fun Dental Facts
Fun Dental Facts! How much do you know about your mouth? Did you know the first set of teeth (baby teeth) is 20 teeth. The second set of teeth (adult teeth) is 32 teeth? We use our teeth everyday, from chewing food to helping form the words we say. Your mouth, teeth and tongue are the most voluntarily used part of your body. With good home and professional dental care, your teeth should last your entire lifetime.
Here are some fun dental ideas:
- Did you know that there are 4 different types of teeth in your mouth?
- Humans, on average, spend 79 days of their life brushing their teeth.
- Are you left of right handed? Do you favour the same side when chewing food?
- Is gum disease associated with a higher risk of heart disease? Yes
- Gum disease is generally not painful until it becomes chronic and severe.
- Good saliva flow is the best defense against decay.
- The hardest substance in the human body is the enamel covering your teeth.
Keeping your teeth in top condition can be achieved by a range of actions:
- Brush twice a day.
- Floss at least several times a week (daily is better).
- It is not unusual for your gums to bleed when you floss, if you have not flossed for some time.
- Ongoing gum bleeding when you do floss regularly, should be checked by your dentist as it can be a sign of gum disease.
- Reduce your sugar intake. Or at least brush after having sugary foods and drinks.
- Change your toothbrush every 3 months.
- Visit Salamanca Dental regularly for your check-ups.
Hopefully we have enlightened you today on some interesting facts about your teeth, and also given you hints on how to ensure you keep your teeth healthy.
If you are over-due for your dental checkup or have a concern about a tooth or your gums, please call Salamanca Dental on (03) 62888070, contact us here, or book online using the button at the top of this page.
We look forward to seeing you soon and remember to… smile like you mean it!