There are two types of veneers that are available for those who would like to change the appearance of their teeth. Porcelain veneers are thin tooth coloured porcelain shells carefully crafted to bond and cover the front of your natural teeth. Direct laminate veneers are a conservative alternative to porcelain veneers as they bond putty like dental material to the teeth to re-create the shape. Veneers are an excellent way for treating discoloured, chipped, misaligned or worn down teeth.
Caring for your veneers will ensure that they last longer. Regular check ups with the dentist are recommended. Continuing maintenance and professional cleaning is needed to prevent other issues occurring. Additionally, ongoing home care is important as well. Brushing twice daily with a fluoride toothpaste and flossing veneered teeth will help prevent decay and keep them looking fresh. Excessive chewing or biting especially on foods such as ice, bones or hard lollies may break or damage veneers, so it is recommended to avoid such habits. Also avoid holding hard objects with your teeth for example nails, pens or bottle tops as they will cause damage to your teeth and veneers.
The advantages of having porcelain veneers:
- Application is relatively painless
- If the tooth underneath is strong enough, veneers can be a simpler and cheaper alternative to crowns
- Veneers are resistant to staining from age, tea, coffee, wine, smoking and other factors.
- The porcelain and cement used in the bonding process are strong, making them comparable in strength with natural tooth structure.
- When applied professionally and cared for regularly, veneers can last for many years.
The advantages of having direct laminate veneers:
- Direct laminate veneers are completed in one appointment.
- They can be polished and refreshed.
- Direct laminate veneers can be repaired (in some instances) if they have been chipped or damaged.
- They are less costly than porcelain veneers.
- Veneers are not a replacement for corrective dental procedures in people with overcrowded or badly misaligned teeth.
- Healthy gums are essential to the success of veneers. Oral hygiene is very important.
If you may be interested in veneers or just overdue for a dental check-up, please call Salamanca Dental on (03) 62888070, contact us here, or book online using the button at the top of this page.
We look forward to seeing you soon and remember to… smile like you mean it!