Dental implants are special titanium screws placed in the jawbone to restore a missing tooth or multiple missing teeth. Tooth implants may be an alternative to dentures.
Benefits of dental implants
Tooth implants have many benefits. They:
- are long-lasting and secure in the mouth
- do not affect adjacent teeth
- maintain the structure of the face by reducing bone resorption
- can be used for chewing food with
- support speech by filling gaps
- look and feel similar to a natural tooth
Placement of your dental implants requires surgery and good bone quality. Once a tooth implant is placed, healing must occur before the tooth crown is placed. Not every gap can be filled with an implant. Your dentist will assess your mouth clinically and with special X-rays to determine suitability. This process – to plan, place and heal fully – can take several months.
An implant needs to be cared for in a special way. We recommend 6-monthly routine dental check-ups and cleaning along with diligent home oral hygiene, to help your implant last as long as possible.