Dental implants are special titanium screws placed in the jawbone to restore a missing tooth or restore multiple. Tooth implants are an alternative to dentures.
Benefits of dental implants
Tooth implants have many benefits. They:
- are long-lasting and secure
- do not affect adjacent teeth
- maintain the structure of the face by reducing bone resorption
- are comfortable to chew on
- improve speech by filling gaps
- are the closest thing in dentistry to a natural tooth
All work is done at our Hobart clinic
Placement of your dental implants requires surgery and good bone quality. Once a tooth implant is placed, healing must occur before the tooth crown is placed. Not every gap can be filled with an implant. Your dentist will assess your mouth clinically and with special X-rays to determine suitability. This process – to plan, place and heal fully – can take several months.
An implant needs to be cared for in a special way. We recommend 6-monthly routine dental check-ups and cleaning along with diligent home oral hygiene, to help your implant last as long as possible.