A dental hygienist is a registered dental practitioner who works with your dentist to provide you with preventative dental care. A dental hygienist is highly trained to detect, prevent and treat dental disease. A hygienist teaches people of all ages to clean hard-to-reach areas of the mouth, and to understand the importance of cleaning and looking after our mouths.
What does a dental hygienist do?
- Provides education and services to you and the whole family to maintain a clean and healthy mouth. These techniques can prevent future problems arising and, helps your teeth to ideally last a lifetime
- Evaluates, assesses and provides treatment to improve gum health through gently cleaning and polishing off plaque, tartar and stains
- Treats teeth with decay-prevention solutions such as remineralising agents that help increase the strength of the tooth surface and reduce bacteria
- Takes impressions for sports mouthguards
- Teeth whitening
- Applies preventative sealants (fissure seals) which, by stopping food from trapping in tooth grooves, helps reduce your risk of decay
Salamanca Dental recommends routine hygiene visits every 6 months with the dentist or hygienist, along with your check-up. We can combine the two services over one appointment to make it easier to attend.
Book an appointment now.